How to Enroll in Online Courses
The following are steps that must be taken in order to enroll for a course(s) at VCSU. The steps must be completed in the order listed. Please print these instructions for easy viewing as you complete the registration process.
1. Applying for Admission to VCSU
To apply for admission to VCSU, visit VCSU Application for Admission
and follow the steps there. In order to enroll in a course, a student must first be admitted to VCSU.
2. Identifying Courses Offered During a Given Semester
To view all courses currently being offered:
- View course offerings at http://www.vcsu.edu/registrar/.
- Click on "Class Schedules" to select the appropriate semester (i.e. Fall 2002).
- Click on any area of interest to view courses offered
To view all courses currently being offered online only:
- View course offerings at http://distancelearning.vcsu.edu.
- Click on "Course Offerings" and conduct a search.
- Click on the course names to view the course descriptions and/or to register for a course.
3. View Course Descriptions
- View the VCSU Web site at http://www.vcsu.edu/documents .
- Click on the most recent academic Catalog.
- Go to the section titled "Alphabetic Course Descriptions" to view course descriptions.
4. Registering for VCSU Courses
A student can register for courses two different ways:
- Contact the Registrar's Office at VCSU: 1-800-532-8641 ext. 7295. (If you are in Valley City, you may register by visiting the VCSU Registrar's Office in McFarland 218.) To expedite the process, please have the following information available when you call:
- Call Number and Name of Course,
- Social Security or NAID Student Number.
- Visit VCSU's Distance Learning website at http://distancelearning.vcsu.edu and follow the directions under the "Course Offerings" button. (See "To view all courses currently being offered online only" above.)
5. Paying Fees
When registration is complete, ask to be transferred to the VCSU Business Office or call: 1-800-532-8641 ext. 7232. Your billing account can be accessed and payment can be made with credit card or other payment options (ask Business Office Personnel). Each semester, the period from the 8th day through the 12th day of classes, is designated as the official 'fee payment period'. After the 13th day of classes, if you have not paid, you will be notified that your registration will be canceled unless payment is made.
6. Financial Aid
Students registering for six or more credits from VCSU may be eligible for financial aid assistance. Application for financial aid can be made a semester before enrollment in course(s) and must be made no later than the first week of the academic semester for which aid is requested. Students who apply for financial aid during the first week of a semester are required to pay tuition and fees, while they wait for a response to an aid request.
**IMPORTANT NOTE** Students attending more than one institution are eligible for aid from only one institution at a time. Those holding degrees should follow this process:
- Complete the 'Previous Degree' form at http://www.vcsu.edu/financialaid/documents. The form is also available upon request from the VCSU Financial Aid Office: 1-800-532-8641 ext. 7542.
- Attach degree transcripts to the above-mentioned form.
- Submit form to VCSU Financial Aid Office.
- Complete 'Free Application for Federal Student Aid' form online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/. VCSU Institutional Code: 003008. Those presently registered should inquire at their 'home school' financial aid office for consortium agreement information.
7. Accessing Courses
Shortly after registering for a course, you will receive a form entitled "VCSU Community Account Information". The form will give you instructions for accessing the VCSU Online Community Web Page. Through the Community Web Page, you will access course(s) for which you are registered. If you have questions after accessing the Online Community Web Page, contact the VCSU Helpdesk: 1-800-532-8641 ext. 7256.