The Don Mugan CTE Leadership Center was dedicated on October 2, 2015. The dedication was well attended and included Don’s family, colleagues, CTE leaders, Great Plains STEM Education representatives and Department of Technology personnel. The program included a welcome from Dr. Tisa Mason, President, Valley City State University. Dr. Peder Gjovik, Chair of the Department of Technology and Co-Director of the Don Mugan CTE Leadership Center introduced program presenters.
Several speakers detailed their experiences working with Don and included:
- Dr. James Boe, Director of Graduate Studies and Research
- Lana Fornes, Instructor in the Department of Technology and former curriculum writer for the Great Plains STEM Education Center
- Dr. Jamie Wirth, Director of the Great Plains STEM Education Center
- Wayne Kutzer, Director and Executive Officer, North Dakota Department of Career and Technical Education
- Rick Ross, CTE Coordinator and Co-Director of the Don Mugan CTE Leadership Center
- Ryan Mugan, Don’s son and representative of the Mugan family
Dr. Gjovik made closing comments and Dr. Mason officially opened the Mugan Center with a ribbon cutting including family members, Center staff and former CTE coordinator, David Melgaard. Attendees were invited to an open house at the GPSEC following the dedication.
Family members were presented with dedication plaques and a program memento including comments from those not able to attend the dedication. Comments published in the memento included many national leaders attesting to the effect of Don’s efforts. Themes regarding Don’s vision, forward thinking, innovation, and above all humility, were common throughout. Don’s legacy was that of a man more interested in the success of those around him than his own accomplishments. We are all richer because of our too short time with him.